So I looked into using Discourse for comments. Another project using Ruby (on Rails). So that’s not my favorite idea.
I’ve started to think what I would most want from a blogging platform. One thing I don’t really care about WordPress right now (any maybe it’s just this theme) is that my content seems to take a back seat to the sidebars and widgets. But this is the WordPress default theme of 2014. So…
So here’s my wishlist (in no particular order):
- Simple — I don’t need a lot of fluff. I don’t need Facebook integration or anything like that.
- Lightweight — I need something that runs a little better on my new laptop. WordPress is feeling bloated.
- Comments — While I don’t get a lot of comments, I think blogs need comments. Comments with moderation.
- Minimal — I want a minimal theme, nice crisp font. Nothing flashy.
- Easy — Something that I can drop on a server and not have to run 5 different languages to get it going. Apache and PHP are easy, so WordPress does have an up here.
So that’s what I might be doing tomorrow: taking care of a sick wife and installing Ghost.